Castor Oil for Eyelashes: A Complete Guide for Natural Growth
Every girl wants flawless eyelashes. Most even try everything for it: false eyelashes, mascara, the works! However, these fake products do more harm than good and only cause the eyelashes to fall out even more. Thankfully, there are ways to grow back eyelashes naturally and without resorting to expensive medicines or treatments. I am not joking! Today, I am going to give you the complete guide to using castor oil for eyelashes growth naturally. Yes, castor oil is one of the best things you can use to grow thick, luxurious eyelashes that will make your eyes stand out and look gorgeous.
Causes of eyelashes fall out
Eyelashes can fall out or become sparse due to many reasons:
- Excess use of mascara, false eyelashes and eyeshadow: These products are filled with toxic chemicals and glues which harm the delicate skin and make the hair on the eyelids fall out.
- Sleeping with the makeup on: this habit can cost you your lashes and can also lead to acne and other skin problems.
- Improper diet: A diet rich in B vitamins, proteins and minerals are necessary for strong and thick lashes.
- Pollution: The toxins and pollutants in our environment can also lead to loss of eyelashes.
- Underlying health issues: certain health conditions and drugs can also lead to loss of lashes.
Most women (and some men!) desire beautiful long and dark lashes. This dream can come true with the regular use of castor oil. Before I tell you exactly how you can use Castor oil to grow thick and beautiful eyelashes, let us study a brief history of this healing oil.
Castor oil- a brief history
The use of castor oil for health and beauty can be traced back to the early BCs. In fact, the oil was known as the ‘Hand of Christ’ since it helped with skin issues and aided detox. The popularity of the oil increased in the mid-1940s when the ‘sleeping prophet’ Edgar Cayce recommended castor oil packs for treating a wide range of illnesses including cystitis, constipation, liver burden etc. The oil was even used for the treatment of acne, hair loss, and skin rashes, and as a lubricant to induce labour in pregnancy. Epilepsy was also believed to be cured with the regular use of this wonderful oil. Castor oil was often recommended by herbalists and physicians for treating headaches, toxemia, poor coordination, colitis, swollen lymph nodes, cirrhosis, torpid liver, neuritis etc. It was used as early as the 17th century by the Indians, Chinese, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians and Romans to assist the body in healing.
What makes Castor oil so beneficial for health and beauty?
- The health and beauty benefits of castor oil can be attributed to its high ricinoleic acid. This is an essential fatty acid that boosts the body’s immune function. It also promotes bowel movement to eliminate constipation. The compounds in castor oil aid in digestion and regulate irregular menstrual cycles. When used regularly for massage, the oil works as a skin softener as well as an anti-aging agent that reduces wrinkles, fine lines, and sun damage.
- The oil mainly works by promoting blood circulation. It enhances the biological energy of the area where it is applied. This helps in drawing out toxic waste which in turn eliminates the root cause of many health problems.
- Castor oil also contains antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is rich in Vitamin E which makes it one of the best oils for skin and hair issues.
- This wonderful oil also contains proteins, minerals and omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids that promote hair growth and stop hair loss.
- Ricinoleic acid is also known to balance the ph of the skin and scalp. A majority of the skin and hair problems arise due to years of chemical abuse which strips the skin and hair off its delicate natural oils. Castor oil, when used regularly, can undo this damage.
Castor oil for eyelashes
I have personally used castor oil for hair growth and seen dramatic results. I have suffered for years from dandruff and hair loss but with the regular scalp massage with castor oil, the itchiness and hair loss came under control. I believe that the oil’s antibacterial and antifungal properties eliminate fungus and dandruff leaving my scalp healthy and my hair softer and shinier. I then started using the castor oil for eyelashes and needless to say that I am thrilled with the results! That is why I am going to share with you how you can benefit from castor oil for thicker, stronger and more luxurious lashes.
How to use castor oil to thicken lashes
Following are the steps to grow eyelashes with Castor oil:
- Stop using all kinds of makeup or false eyelashes for the duration of the treatment.
- Wash your eyelids with warm water. Pat the skin dry.
- Use a sterile Q-tip to apply the castor oil on the lashes. Use a good quality castor oil sourced from a reputed vendor. The best castor oil comes from India but you must make sure that the manufacturers use cold pressed hexane free techniques which make the oil 100% pesticide free. I have used Skin is You brand on my eyelashes and it worked really well. You can also buy Jamaican black extra dark castor oil from Amazon UK which has great reviews.
- Apply the castor oil all over the lashes with the Q-tip. You can even apply the oil using your hands but the Q-tips will help you get to the roots of your lashes.
- Make sure you cover all of the eyelashes from the start to the end of the eyelid. Repeat for top and bottom lashes.
- Castor oil is very thick and viscous. Some of it could get into your eyes but worry not, this won’t do you any harm apart from giving you a blurry vision. In fact, castor oil can help you get rid of eye allergies, dark circles and under eye puffiness. That said, it is best to use this remedy at nighttime before sleeping so the blurred vision does not bother you.
- Go to bed and wash off the oil the next morning.
- Continue the process for at least 30 days and record your results.
- Here is another natural eyelash conditioner recipe which you can use daily. Mix together equal parts of Grapeseed, Apricot kernel and Sweet Almond oil with Castor oil. Apply a light coating of this blend to your eyelashes at bedtime.
- Another easy way to use Castor oil to thicken eyelashes is to add a few drops of Castor oil to a glass of warm water. Soak a clean cotton ball or flannel cloth in the water and wring out the excess. Apply the cloth/cotton to your eyes and relax for 10 minutes. Such a compress helps in better absorption of the oil and enhances hair growth.
Castor oil is one of the best natural ingredients available in nature to combat hair loss. After using Castor oil regularly, you will notice a dramatic improvement in their thickness. If sparse eyebrows and eyelashes are a major concern for you, then do try this simple yet effective home remedy and see the results!